11 July 2008

Vintage Boy

I've captured vintage footage! My recording of him never goes as expected, but this time that was a good thing. He inserted several idiosyncracies into a very small amount of space. First, he is excited about singing his “goofy song.” Then he asks, “The goofy song is...?” the way he usually asks questions lately. The Mary Poppins song is perfect for him because it combines silliness with long words. He says the word and we start to sing it, but then he interrupts with, “I want to sing it on the camera.” I'm not sure why that was suddenly so exciting, but it still shows his typical personality. When I drop off for him to pick it up, he says “sound of” correctly, but then he launches into song babble. He keeps the basic tune, as much as usual for him, as well as the meter and feel of the song, but the words are nonsense. I try to help him realize when to end the verse with the last supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, but he's still going strong. Then almost a full line later, he realizes he's missed his exit, and ends abruptly with the word. I love it! So, if you'd like to meet the boy, this is him in a nutshell.